Wisdom Seekers Christian University Online
Building an Evangelism Website
This lesson is part of the Internet Evangelism curriculum. This lesson illustrates how to build an effective evangelism website with little or no cost and minimum web design skills.
For help building your site, including logo design and Web design, enroll in the paid version of this course.
Building an Evangelism Website
What Every Internet Evangelist Should Have
Create an Internet evangelism brand strategy
You online presence says a lot about you. Make sure you you are expressing the right impression. Remember that your website is representing you and your local church. Creating an Internet brand strategy shows your professionalism and engenders trust.
- Choose a ministry name.
- Define your mission statement.
- Define your statement of faith.
- Develop your brand story.
- Define your target market. Research on which sites you would be the most likely to encounter Internet users who would be interested in meeting someone new online.
- Create a logo that expresses the emotions you want people to feel when they first encounter and when they popularly demand your brand.
- Create a website banner. Post this banner everywhere a banner is required (such as social media profiles) to maintain consistent branding.
- Create an Internet address.
- Create profiles on popular social media platforms.
- Create a YouTube channel.
Create an Internet address
Just like directing new traditional converts to a local church, Internet evangelists direct online contacts to a website. Before you start an Internet evangelism ministry, you should have an Internet address.
- Choose self hosting via paid Internet host or free blog hosting. I recommend starting with free blog hosting. You can always upgrade to paid hosting as your ministry grows.
- Choose a content management system (CMS). I recommend and use the WordPress platform. A CMS makes building a site intuitive and user friendly.
- Create a website builder account and log in.
- Choose a site template.
- Create the recommended WiSeekU site pages. To jumpstart your site, use the sample pages provided in the next section.
- Link your site to the web page of your local church.
Include the following recommended pages in your website
The following pages are WiSeekU evangelism templates. Your website should include at least these pages. Use and modify them template pages to get your website up and running efficiently.
- About. Introduce yourself and your ministry. Share your mission statement and statement of faith.
- The Good News. Share the Gospel.
- Prayer. Include a prayer request form.
- Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.s). Add questions when received. Research answers and post them in a database format.
- Devotional or Bible Study. Engage your contacts and site visitors with Bible teaching.
- Ministries. Describe the outreach that you do. If you do not have ministries other than evangelism, promote the ministries of your church.
- Resources. Provide links to faith formation and salvation decision tools.
- Testimonials. Share testimonies submitted to you and your website.
- Worship. Post audio, video, and links to online worship.
- Donate and or Support. Provide a means for the ministry of giving. Describe ways that visitors can get involved with ministries.
- Connect or Contact. Use a contact form to collect information from the visitor and allow him or her to ask a question or leave a comment.
- Sitemap. Make it easy to find special topics.
At minimum, link your website to your profiles on the following social media sites. You can link to other sites that you have profiles on.
In addition to social media, here are some suggestions for keeping your site feeling fresh and relevant.
- Post your daily devotionals.
- Post your sermons.
- Encourage your site visitors to share their testimonies.
- Post prayers.
- Use pages instead of posts to hide publication dates if you do not publish often. You don’t want old posts to make your site seem dated or abandoned.
- Remember to update your copyright year notice.
- Host a verse of the day.
- Host an e-mail newsletter.
Website Creation Video Training Series